Troi Serial Plug-in gives FileMaker Pro the ability to read from and write to all devices with a serial interface, without the need of a separate application.
Control any device with a serial interface
Troi Serial Plug-in gives FileMaker Pro easy and powerful access to external devices with a serial (RS232) interface:
- read from and write to the (virtual) serial ports of the computer directly from FileMaker Pro without the need of a separate application
- native FileMaker script triggering, to get incoming data into the database
- or directly insert incoming serial data into your database, in the background (without any script triggering)
- 'Suspend/Resume Serial Port' script step to temporarily suspend the incoming data stream and resume it when you are interested in the data
- 'Wait for Match' function to wait for a specific text before triggering or inserting
- open an unlimited number of serial ports and trigger different scripts for different ports.
- works with all types of serial ports, including those added through an extension card or USB to serial adaptor
Troi Serial Plug-in has a great debug function, making setup of databases a breeze for our users. You can troubleshoot by testing the arrival of data at the serial port and you can test script triggering too.
Troi Serial Plug-in can be reinitialized without quitting FileMaker Pro. This makes it possible to accommodate new or different serial ports dynamically, for example when you plug in a USB to serial adaptor.
Another powerful feature is getting the last match string that was received, for example a return character to get the last line that was received.
- connecting to a modem
- custom switchboard dialing
- caller ID
- credit card swiping
- chip card reading
- data(base) transfer
- send commands to control-units and gather data from them
- weigh goods
- scan goods with a barcode reader
- open a cash drawer
- connect to serial port
- control the talking fish Billy Bass!
What is new in version 6.0?
Troi Serial Plug-in 6.0 has the following changes:
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 18 and FileMaker Pro 17.0.7.
- Improved the Open Serial Port script step and the Serial_Open function. You can now easily specify a match string as an optional
parameter. In that case the plug-in will wait to trigger a script until the incoming data contains the match string.
- Added an extra Switches parameter to the Receive Serial Data script step, allowing to specify advanced switches.
- Significantly improved the Terminal.fmp12 example file, it is now optimized for FileMaker Pro 16 to 18 and demonstrates the more advanced features of Troi Serial Plug-in 6.
- (macOS) Improved the Open Serial Port script step and the Serial_Open function: when reopening the port existing data still in the buffer of the operating system is now flushed. This prevents receiving stale data.
Troi Serial Plug-in 6.0 also has the following improvements:
- Renamed the â??Set Serial Dispatch Scriptâ?? step to Set Serial Trigger Script.
- Fixed a possible crash when shutting down the plug-in or disabling it in the preferences, which could sometimes occur if you had several serial ports still open when stopping FileMaker Pro.
- (macOS) Fixed a potential memory leak in the Open Serial Port script step and the Serial_Open function. Also improved the Serial_Open function: when a serial port is in use the plug-in now returns the expected error code $$-97 (portInUse) instead of $$16.
- Fixed a possible crash in the Receive Serial Data script step with the parameter Encoding set to UTF-8: when receiving data which contains an invalid UTF-8 character sequence the plug-in no longer crashes, but will now indicate the invalid UTF-8 characters with the string .
- Modernized the Regifunc.fmp12 and EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12 example files.