Remote & Telnet
File Commander is a 32 bit text mode file manager and shell that allows you to locate, copy, move, delete, view, edit and execute your files in a quick, convenient and customizable manner.
Its main display provides dual directory view panels that may serve as source and destination of a copy or move operation or just two different views of your files. A panel may also be used to view a directory tree, drive statistics or may be turned off altogether, making visible the output of previously executed commands.
A command line is also provided and operates in conjuction with the directory panels to make it much more powerful than a regular CLI including pasting file names from the panel, a command history recall window and command completion from history.
- Built in archive support including archives inside archives to any depth, with ZIP, ARJ, RAR, LZH, ACE, HA, TAR, GZip, 7ZIP and BZIP2 types currently supported.
- Text mode for speed and other advantages
- Mouse support.
- Full Unicode file name support.
- Full support for large files and volumes (up to 2^63 bytes).
- Online help.
- Many configuration options.
- Colourization of file and directory names by boolean expression.
- Built in file viewer with hex view mode and syntax highlighting.
- Built in editor with undo/redo, syntax highlighting and cut/copy/paste ability using the global clipboard.
- Code page translation function in viewer and editor.
- File Find facility combining wildcard file name filters with file contents scanning. Allows search/replace of text within matching files.
- Calculation of the total disk usage of a directory tree.
- Tree views for quick and easy directory changes.
- Intelligent execution of the different types of executables supported by OS/2 or Windows.
- User definable menu including powerful operators such as
- Run a command once for every tagged file.
- Automatically create a file containing a list of tagged files.
- Get input value from the user.
- List all tagged files in the parameter list, automatically running the command multiple times if the command line gets too long.
- Browsing of network servers & shares.
- Directory history for changing back to recently viewed directories.
- Easy creation of desktop objects.
- Enhanced wildcard handling including boolean operators (and, or, not, brackets) for combining multiple file name masks.
- Flexible file name filtering.
- Support for 4DOS/4OS2 descriptions
- Supports any number of display columns (minimum 80).
- Start DOS programs with session settings (OS/2 only)
The following changes have been completed since the release of v2.30 and are included in v2.40:
- Support includes in user menu files.
- Unix port (Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris).
- Win64 port.
- Use Unicode for all file names on Windows & Unix.
- Syntax highlighting in the viewer.
- Viewer and editor support for Unicode text files.
- Symbolic link support in Unix & Windows.
- Panels display a link's target.
- Ctrl-Shift-F5 creates a link.
- F8-Delete knows not to recurse into a link to a directory.
- Links to files require Windows Vista or later. Directory links require Windows 2000 or later and NTFS
- Support for 7zip archives.
- Support for bzip2 files.
- Scroll back viewer to browse previous program output (Only enabled for unix by default).
- File Information display (Ctrl-I) shows complete file metadata.
- OS/2 & Windows: Ctrl-Shift-E to eject removable media & Ctrl-Shift-L to load.
- Unix: Ctrl-M displays mount point selection list with eject function
- Change the search match highlight colour in the viewer from "Menu Bar" to "Highlight" which is consistent with the editor and more sensible.
- Preserve the case of environment variable names.
- Case insensitive matching is now Unicode based so will work with all languages.
- Allow re-sorting of File Find results before search has finished.
- Use a separate thread to update the file copy progress box to reduce flicker and improve copy speed.
- Editor: line length limit of 64kB removed.
- Windows: Don't query CWD of network drives at startup.
- Windows: Resolve subst'd drives when determining if a file can be moved without copy/delete.
- Added new syntax highlighting directive, "statechange" which allows more flexible state transitions.
- Added includes in syntax defintion file.
- Add support for Unicode file names in RAR archives.
- TAR file support improvements
- Fix checksum calculation when there are bytes in the header >127.
- Interpret file names as UTF-8.
- Added field in File Find to specify the code page used when searching files for the "Containing" string.
- Copy/Move: Add ability to specify overwrite mode in the initial dialog so that you don't have to wait for the first collision to occur.
- Add !lf operator to provide a list of tagged files with their full path.
- Add !tf (tagged file with full path).
- Add ability to remove an entry from command history with Delete key.
- Syntax Highlighter: Add /w flag for syntax states of "word scope" to assist with LISP keywords.
- Syntax Highlighter: Enable word characters to be redefined for each state.
- User Menu: Make menu item hot key work if specified in lower case in the mnu file. This used to work in 2.20 but was broken while adding support for sub-menus.
- Fix display of hex view when code page translation is active. Was "translating" the vertical bar separators.
- Fix file copy ETA overflowing copy progress dialog & causing screen corruption when a huge file copy starts off slowly.
- In Change Case, mixed mode should not capitalise the character after an apostrophe.
- In viewer, fix background colour of line continuation markers (right arrow at the end of a line that's longer than the window when unwrapped).
- Windows: Fix "Overwrite All Older" option on windows when using CopyFileEx.
- Multi-file search/replace confirmation prompt, extend box width if necessary to fit the text values and don't overflow box if text still won't fit.
- Fix !F when opposite panel is showing an archive's contents.
- Fix !t behaviour in archives.
Perdemia Permission Analyzer available
Reports NTFS permissions
Permission Analyzer jproduct page
Napsys software available through BTSoftware
You can purchase Napsys software through BTSoftware from now on
CopyFlow product page
BTSoftware BV is now official partner of EM Software
BTSoftware BV and EM Software are now partner
BTSoftware BV has partnered with Devart
BTSoftware BV and Devart announce their official partnership.