Using the built-in Windows administration tools to manage a medium to large Windows 200x network or Active Directory environment can be a challenge. Add multiple domains, hundreds or thousands of servers, workstations, and users, and before you know it, things can get out of hand. Hyena is designed to both simplify and centralize nearly all of the day-to-day management tasks, while providing new capabilities for system administration. This functionality is provided in a single, centralized, easy to use product. Used today by tens of thousands of system administrators worldwide, Hyena is the one tool that every administrator cannot afford to be without.
Hyena uses an Explorer-style interface for all operations, including right mouse click pop-up context menus for all objects. Management of users, groups (both local and global), shares, domains, computers, services, devices, events, files, printers and print jobs, sessions, open files, disk space, user rights, messaging, exporting, job scheduling, processes, and printing are all supported.
In fact, Hyena can be used on any Windows client to manage any Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP/Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 installation.
In addition to supporting standard Windows system management functions, Hyena also includes extensive Active Directory support and management tools.
New Features in Hyena v12.0
Group Policy Links View
Hyena's new Group Policy Links view can be used to display information on all GPOs linked to one or more organization units, including listing the number of policies, policy order, status, and WMI filtering information.
While the GPMC can be used to get this same information, its limited to only showing GPO links for a single organizational unit. Hyena's GPO link view can display this information for any number of OUs at the same time.
The new 'Active Stats' view in Hyena makes it easy to display the total number and type of objects contained in one or more selected containers and organizational units. The 'Stats' view can show the number of objects for each object class or selected object classes.
Other options include sub-level searching, optional indentation for sub-containers, skipping disabled users or computers, and showing individual group types.
Other Hyena Changes
- Added option to specify attribute list for 'View Deleted Objects'.
- Added Moving and Renaming directory objects to Active Task.
- Created method on Home Directory Template to allow 'Special' security settings.
- Tool commands has been moved into its own re-sizable dialog.
- Added Clear Selected to main menu (Control-T).
- Added font size option to LDAP filter on Query Properties dialog.
- Created separate section in 'Manage Directory Attributes' function to update DN-formatted (eg 'ManagedBy') attributes.
- Enabled 'Find' button on LDAP Parameter dialog to prompt for DN-formatted attributes.
- Fixed 'Modify' method in the Active Editor on TSE values.
- Added group member class filtering to the Group Member Matrix view.
- Added sorting capability to date/times returned in WMI queries.
- Localized the date format returned in WMI queries to be either m/d/yy or d/m/yy depending on system locale.
- Added File > Manage WMI Queries to main menu.
- Fixed problem in Active Task that prevented 'user cannot change password' from being saved.
- Added new error message in Active Task when 'user cannot change password' and 'user must change password at next logon' were both set.
- Fixed problem caused by using %1, etc. in the macro command string and having these commands interpreted as AD replacement attribute names.
- Added DefaultNewShareSecurity, ReadEntireEventLogDateRange, DnDisplayFormat and AllowExtendedListWindowKeySearch advanced registry settings.
- Exporter Pro (v3.2): Added options to local group member exporting to allow viewing user enabled/disabled status, and exporting nested members.