Remote & Telnet
What is Troi File Plug-in?
Troi File Plug-in is a very powerful tool for getting access to information outside the FileMaker Pro database. Any files or folders stored on the computer can be accessed through the functions of the plug-in. All from within FileMaker Pro you can:
- get data from files that are on the disk of the computer into FileMaker Pro
- create files anywhere on the hard disk and put data from FileMaker fields into them
- manipulate files and folders on the disk: this includes creating, deleting, copying, moving and modifying files and folders
- get the size on disk, creation and modification dates and much more
- launch and reveal files directly from FileMaker Pro
- manage your images and movies, and read IPTC and Exif metadata from JPEG, Raw and PNG images
Troi File Plug-in 12.0 has the following new functionality:
- Tested and made compatible with Claris FileMaker Pro 19 and FileMaker Pro 18.0.3.
- Tested and improved compatibility with Windows 10 up to version 1909 (the November 2019 Update).
- Tested and improved compatibility with macOS Catalina up to version 10.15.4.
New script steps and functions
- Added new TrFile_GetExtension function, which returns the extension of a file in a filepath. If the filename has no extension an empty string is returned.
- Added new Bring To Front script step: if the FileMaker Pro application is behind other applications, this step will bring FileMaker Pro in front of other applications. Use this for example when you use the Add Drag and Drop Handler functionality to drag from another application that is in front. In the trigger script you can decide if and when you want to bring FileMaker to the front.
- Added new TrFile_BringToFront function: if the FileMaker Pro application is behind other applications, this function will bring FileMaker Pro in front of other applications. Use this for example when you use the TrFile_DragAndDrop function to drag from another application that is in front.
- Added new switch '-DontAddEnclosingFolder' to the TrFile_CreateZIP function. When you add this switch the top folder will not be added to the ZIP file, only the contents of the top folder.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateZIP function. When the destination ZIP filename does not have an extension the plug-in now adds the .zip extension.
- Added new option to the Create File script step: 'Create Folders: off/on'. When this option is set to 'on' the plug-in creates new (sub)folders if they don't exist in the specified path.
- Improved the TrFile_CreateFile function: added a new switch '-CreateFolders'. When using this switch the plug-in creates new (sub)folders if they don't exist in the specified path.
- Added new switch '-FileMakerPathFormat' to the TrFile_Search function: when used the result will be a list of FileMaker formatted fully qualified paths. On macOS this will be for example '/macHD/users/ad/text.txt'. On Windows this will be like '/C:/users/ad/text.txt'.
- (macOS) Added a new switch '-ForceDelete' to the TrFile_DeleteFile function, which forcefully deletes a file if it is busy (open). This solves a problem where in some cases the function could return error code $$-47 (fBsyErr). Please use this new switch with care.
- Improved compatiblity with implicit FileMaker styled paths, like for example '/MacHD/folder/file.txt' and '/C:/directory/file.txt'. Each function or step with a path parameter can now also be given a this FileMaker styled path (without prepending 'filemac:' or 'filewin:'. Any path starting with a slash will be parsed as a FileMaker styled path (of the platform on which FileMaker Pro is running).
- You can still use all the other path formats like 'MacHD:folder:file.txt' and 'filemac:/MacHD/fold/file.txt' on macOS and 'C:\folder\letter.txt' and 'filewin:/C:/dir/file.txt' on Windows.
- (macOS) Improved and prepared the Add DragAndDrop Handler script step and the TrFile_DragAndDrop function for FileMaker Pro 19.
- Added new switch '-BringToFront' to the TrFile_DragAndDrop function. This will always bring the FileMaker app to the front just before the drag triggerscript is triggered.
Improved metadata features
- Improved the TrFile_GetMetaData function: added support for TIFF images when using the switches '-GetIPTC', '-GetEXIF' and '-GetXMP'.
- Improved the TrFile_GetMetaData function with the switch '-GetGPS'. The plug-in now returns the GPSVersionID tag formatted as readable text, for example '22.214.171.124'.
- Improved the TrFile_SetMetaData function with the switch '-SetEXIF'. You can now write the GPSVersionID tag if you format it as readable version string, for example '126.96.36.199'.
- Improved the TrFile_SetMetaData function, it now has a more robust error checking, especially when using the switch '-SetEXIF'.
- Improved the SetExif.fmp12 example file, it now shows how to set a different GPS location in the EXIF of an image.
- Improved the IPTC_XMP_Metadata.fmp12 example file, it now is much more modular and uses variables where possible, making it easier to copy it into your solution.
Other changes and improvements
- IMPORTANT The minimum supported FileMaker version is now FileMaker Pro 15. Also the minimum supported macOS version is now OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). You can keep using v11.0.2 for older versions of FileMaker Pro or Mac OS X.
- (macOS) Fixed a bug in the Create Folder script step and the TrFile_CreateFolder function: the plug-in can now create folders with a slash in the folder name and no longer returns error code $$-37 (bdNameErr) indicating a bad file name.
- (macOS) Fixed a bug in the Add DragAndDrop Handler script step and the TrFile_DragAndDrop function where it could return error $$-5600 when running as a runtime app.
- (Windows) Fixed a problem where adding the switch '-ScrollDropZone' in the Add DragAndDrop Handler script step and the TrFile_DragAndDrop function would not work for multiple drag zones.
- Updated the DragAndDrop.fmp12 example: added switch '-ScrollDropZone' in some scripts, so the dropzone will scroll with the window.
- (macOS) Improved the Create Zip script step and the TrFile_CreateZIP function: when creating a zip file in a destination folder where you have no write access the plug-in now returns error code $$-5000 (afpAccessDenied) instead of the (unspecific) error code $$15.
- (macOS) Improved the UnZip script step and the TrFile_UnZIP function: when unzipping to a destination folder where you have no write access the plug-in now returns error code $$-5000 (afpAccessDenied) instead of the (unspecific) error code $$15.
- (Windows) Improved the TrFile_Search function: using a FileMaker style path (i.e. starting with: 'filewin:') for the search directory now works better.
- (Windows) Fixed a bug in the TrFile_Search function, where in some cases not all matching results would be returned.
- Fixed a possible memory leak in the TrFile_SetMovieMetaData function.
- Fixed a bug in the Set MetaData of Image File script step and the TrFile_SetMetaData function. When setting the metadata on an image on a remote (SMB) disk an error code $$-1401 could be returned. This bug is also fixed for other related functionality.
- Fixed a possible crash when getting EXIF metadata of an incorrect image in the TrFile_GetMetaData function.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_GetMetaData function with the switch '-GetXMP'. The plug-in now properly returns large XMP metadata (more than 64000 bytes) of JPEG images stored in a container field.
- Fixed a bug in the TrFile_GetMetaData function with the switch '-GetXMP': fixed a potential crash when getting the XMP metadata of an incorrect movie file.
- (macOS Catalina) Fixed a bug in the Open Folder script step, the Launch File script step and the TrFile_Launch function: on macOS 10.15 (Catalina) an error code $$-10100 could be returned when opening an item located on a AFP mounted disk.
- (macOS Catalina) Fixed a bug in the Reveal File script step, the Reveal Folder script step and the TrFile_Reveal function, where the incorrect item could be revealed for items located on AFP mounted disks.
- Improved and modernized the DragAndDrop.fmp12 file. Added new layout and script which demonstrates the BringToFront functionality.
- Improved multiple example files, they no longer refer to installing plug-ins into the Extensions folder inside the FileMaker folder.
- Small cosmetic improvement of the Regifunc.fmp12 example.
BTSoftware BV is now partner of Unified Compliance
BTSoftware BV and Unified Compliance are now partners
BTSoftware BV has partnered up with IronSoftware
BTSoftware BV and Iron Software are now partners